face 2 face befriending and groups
Amaze Face 2 Face offers peer support to parent carers through one to one befriending and regular social groups.
One to one befriending
Our Face 2 Face peer support befriending service gives families in Sussex support around the time of their child’s diagnosis or new challenges. Our befriending is delivered by a team of volunteers, all parents of children with additional needs, who receive intensive training and ongoing supervision.
Our coordinator will carry out an initial telephone assessment with new parents and explain more about the service we offer. Following this, eligible parents will be matched to one of our befrienders who will continue to support them flexibly for up to six months. This might range from weekly to fortnightly visits or just keeping in touch via phone, text or email.
For more information contact Debbie Collins email@example.com or on 07483 111654.
Face 2 Face support groups
As well as one to one support, Face 2 Face also runs groups in Brighton & Hove and East Sussex. Since the start of the pandemic we have continued to run our groups virtually via Zoom and are starting to slowly reintroduce in person meetings in some settings. See details below.
Brighton & Hove:
- Autism group for parent carers of under 8s with autism or going through autism assessment. This group has a very active WhatsApp group for parents. Parents ask each other questions and support and encourage each other through their shared experience.
- Breakfast club for parents of any age child with any disability meets once a month at Al Campo on London Road, Brighton.
- Dads group meets on the last Thursday of the month in person at the Stoneham Pub in Hove – now also open to East Sussex dads!
- Portslade parent group for parents whose children attend Hillpark special school or parent carers who live in the Hove, Portslade and Mile Oak area. This group meets at the Old Village centre in Portslade once a month.
We also support a PRESENS (preschool special educational support service) group for under 5s every term-time Monday.
For more information or to get involved, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the moment we have the following groups that communicate via active WhatsApp groups:
- Kids Squad for parent carers of children up to 10 years old with ASC
- Escape for parent carers of children aged 11+ with ASC
- Brunch Club – a group for parents of any age child with any SEND
If you would like to meet up with other East Sussex parent carers in person:
- Cuppa, Cake and Chat – is open to all the group members and any other parent carers who want to come along. These informal, friendly sessions are held in Eastbourne and Hastings every month. Get dates and book a place via Eventbrite or by emailing email@example.com.
Our Dads Group in Brighton is also open to dads and male carers in East Sussex.
For more information or to get involved, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.