Blue badges, transport & parking

Blue Badges

The Blue Badge scheme entitles the holder to parking concessions to make it easier to park closer to your destination. You can use it in anybody’s car, but it belongs to the child or young person and is there to help them rather than the rest of the family. It is usually valid for three years.

Your local council administers the scheme and applies strict criteria. Children are unlikely to get a Blue Badge if they are under two unless they have a medical condition that means they need to travel with bulky medical equipment or be close to a vehicle for emergency medical treatment. For children over two, it will depend on how their disability affects them. They will normally qualify automatically if they:

  • receive the higher rate of the mobility part of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • score 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • scored 10 points for descriptor E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity of the mobility component of PIP, on the grounds that they are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause them overwhelming psychological distress
  • are registered blind.

Contact your local council to apply:

Disabled parking bays

If your child has problems with getting around and has a Blue Badge, you may be entitled to a disabled parking bay outside your house if you do not already have off-street parking. It’s important to note that, although it will be outside your house, the parking bay is available for use by anyone who has a Blue Badge.

Bus passes

Children and young people over five with a qualifying disability may be eligible for a free bus pass. Check your child’s eligibility and apply for a card:


Motability is a charity set up to help disabled people and parents of disabled children buy or lease a car. Your child must qualify for the higher rate of the mobility component of DLA or PIP and have at least 12 months of their award left to run. You can also use the scheme to lease an electric wheelchair or mobility scooter. For details of the scheme, ring Motability on 0300 456 4566 or visit their website.

Home to school transport

The local authority should provide free transport if your child is aged 5 to 16 and you live too far (over two miles for under 8s, over three miles for over 8s) from their nearest suitable school. There are extra rules for help with transport if you are on a low income. ‘Free transport’ can mean a bus pass to use local bus services.

Children can also qualify for free transport if they are unable to walk to school due to their particular disability or special educational need. In this case they are more likely to get actual transport such as a taxi or minibus. Find out more about home to school transport.

Independent Travel Training

Independent travel training can help your child or young person learn the skills to be able to travel safely without you.

Travel training in East Sussex

Travel training in Brighton & Hove