Where to go at 25

As our children grow up, there will come a time when they need to move from services for children and young people to services for adults. For some services this may come as early as 16 or 18, but most will offer support up to the age of 25, as Amaze does. Here are some of the places you can turn to for support once your child is over 25.

General support for disabled adults

Possability People is a charity offering support to adults with any kind of disability aged 18+ in Brighton & Hove and East Sussex. They provide a number of different services, including advice and information, and can point you in the direction of other services that can help.

In East Sussex, Project Artworks works with learning disabled adults and their carers offering creative activities, practical and holistic support, film, events, projects and exhibitions.

Grace Eyre offers support services for neurodiverse adults and adults with learning disabilities in Brighton & Hove

Aspens offers support services for disabled and learning disabled adults in East Sussex.

Spiral Sussex supports adults with learning disabilities, providing learning, social & leisure activities across East Sussex.

Little Gate supported employment works with adults with learning disabilities in East Sussex

Disability specific support

Some charities and organisations for adults are focused around specific disabilities, or types of disability. For example:


Advocacy support can be a useful option for adults who need support to understand their options and get their voice heard. The Sussex Advocacy Partnership provides a range of statutory and non-statutory advocacy services to residents of Brighton & Hove and East Sussex.

Local advocacy services include:

Help with disability benefits

There are a number of organizations who offer help and support with disability benefits for adults, including:

Leisure and socialising

Carousel is a Brighton-based charity that runs regular club nights and artistic activities and events for adults with learning disabilities.

Gig Buddies and Sports Buddies works across Sussex to pair up people with and without learning disabilities (and/or autism) to be friends and to go to events or play sports together.

NHS and social care services

Most children transition to adult health care services around 16 to 18 years old, but this sometimes takes place a little later for young people with special educational needs and disabilities.

Read Amaze’s advice on moving to adult health and adult social care services. .

Mental health support

There are a number of different services offering support with mental health and wellbeing, including both NHS and charities/community groups:

Mental health support (East Sussex)

Mental health support (Brighton & Hove)

For urgent help in a crisis, contact the Sussex mental health crisis line by calling 111 and selecting the mental health option.

Help for you as a carer

The following local carers’ organisations continue to offer a wide range of support services to you as a carer once your child becomes an adult: