What is Amazing Futures?
Amazing Futures is the name of our youth programme for young people with additional needs aged 14-25 in Brighton & Hove and East Sussex.
Amazing Futures offers activities, social groups, information, and support, enabling young people to be more involved in their community and develop their life skills as they transition to adulthood. It’s a youth-led project, empowering young people to have a place where their voices are heard and valued, where they can be unapologetically themselves.
At an initial meeting we will discuss what Amaze can offer the young person and what support can be put in place to help them to attend and access any of our groups and activities. We offer:
- regular social group sessions where young people can socialise and take part in activities like games, cooking and art, plus sessions with specific themes like boardgames or wellbeing workshops
- peer support from other young people either in small groups or one-to-one. Our volunteer peer supporters receive free training and ongoing support
- one-to-one support from staff to help with working through access needs, emotional challenges, goal setting or navigating transitions
- signposting and support to access other local services or social opportunities that can improve the young person’s wellbeing and self-advocacy
- wellbeing walks and fitness groups to encourage social skills and support physical wellbeing
- volunteering opportunities as peer supporters or group leaders in Amazing Futures, plus elsewhere in the community
- involvement in the Amazine – an e-zine created by and for young people with SEND
- youth voice – young people can share their experiences and help shape services inside Amaze and elsewhere
- wellbeing support is available for young people with mental health needs, following the Thrive Framework, a team-based approach providing support in response to the young person’s needs
- one-to-one support with DLA and PIP applications to enable young people to access financial support and independence
- career support programme, supporting young people to think about their next steps in education, employment or training, including one-to-one support, training sessions, and workshops
- information, advice and support on SEND topics, including education, health, and social care, through our SENDIASS service
- information through our website on a number of SEND-related topics
Young people in Brighton & Hove with significant additional needs can also access special deals and offers through the Compass Card, our leisure discount card.
Check out our young people area of the website for more information about these services.
How Amazing Futures works with young people
Amaze believes all young people have the right to be heard, respected and fully included in the community. This is at the core of all our work. Learn more about our ethos and values:
Youth voice is intrinsic to Amazing Futures, with opportunities for young people to be involved in sharing their experiences and shaping services, within Amaze and with education, health and care providers. Amazing Futures is co-delivered by young people, and Amaze has young people on the trustee board. We give young people the space and audience to ensure their voices are listened to and acted on.
Amazing Futures paid internships
We offer paid 12-month internships helping develop and run Amazing Futures, in both Brighton & Hove and East Sussex.
We’re looking for enthusiastic people whose personal experiences help them understand the challenges young people with additional needs face.
It’s a great opportunity to gain work experience and develop your skills in a friendly supportive team.
Key numbers from the past year (2022-2023)
Our Amazing Futures peer support service ran a total of 283 in-person group sessions during the year. We got up to a huge number of different activities, including everything from boardgames and arts and crafts to running and outdoor activities to work-readiness sessions.
In addition, we began providing extra support to help our young people with their mental health and wellbeing, running 26 wellbeing sessions in East Sussex, and providing 12 young people in Brighton & Hove with one-to-one counselling sessions.
We also helped our young people look to their futures, with around 75 young people accessing our Amazing Futures careers support service.
Thank you to our funders
None of this would be possible without the support of our amazing funders! We’d like to say a huge thanks to: