Transition planning helps to support young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their families through the process of planning for adulthood. All young people with SEND should get support from school in preparing for adulthood but there should be an extra focus on this if they have an Education, Health and Care Plan.
- Your son/daughter is involved in planning for their future and the decisions made about them
- You as their parent are involved and get the information you need to help your son/daughter make choices
- You know the key people who can help you, for example LDD (Learning Difficulties and Disabilities) Advisers in Brighton & Hove or the Transitions Service in East Sussex
- Your son/daughter can successfully go onto college, training, work or day services after school
- Your son/daughter continues to receive the support they need as an adult
Or visit East Sussex Local Offer information on preparing for adult life.
We also produce a chapter that gives you lots of advice and tips on involving your child in the process of planning for their adulthood. This is relevant for families everywhere.
If you have any problems downloading these documents, call our helpline on 01273 772289 and we’ll can send you a copy.
You might also like to read a very useful brochure from the Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities, called Children and Young People with Complex Health Needs – A one stop guide
If you would like some support with planning for your child’s future, call the Amaze helpline.