social care for adults

Once your child is 18, any social care services they need are provided by your council’s adult social care team.

The ‘Social care’ chapter in our ‘Through the Next Maze 2016’ handbook explains the rules about social care and assessments for disabled adults and their carers and gives details of how assessments are carried out in Brighton & Hove. We also explain the range of services that may be available locally, such as day activities, home care services and short breaks,  as well as the option of Direct Payments (DP).

Download Through the Next Maze 2016 – Chapter 6 – Social care [pdf 252kb]

Some of the information in this chapter will be relevant to families in East Sussex but the kinds services and support available may differ. Read our section for parent carers on Help with daily life and visit the East Sussex Local Offer information on preparing for adult life.

The provision of adult services for your child should have been discussed and agreed during the transition planning process – so hopefully there should be no surprises when your child reaches 18. Read more about transition planning.

I wanted to sort out some housing for Steven but they said I had to have an assessment first. I’ve been waiting 10 months and I still don’t know when they’ll get round to us. You just learn to wait!
Rachel’s transition from children’s to adult services has been very smooth. I feel that the different agencies have all communicated well between themselves so bringing about a positive experience of transition. Throughout the process I always felt everyone involved worked with Rachel’s best interests at heart.
Translate »