Amaze is seeking Compass volunteers (Brighton)
We’re seeking one or two volunteers to help ensure the smooth running of the Compass Project at Amaze.
The Compass Project has been running in Brighton & Hove for over 16 years, and in West Sussex for three years, managing the Compass ‘disability register’ and Compass Card scheme. With over 4,000 Compass Card holders across Brighton & Hove and West Sussex, we are processing increasingly large amounts of information and data from families with disabled children and young people.
Volunteering offers the opportunity to develop new skills, friendships and interests, and gain valuable transferable work experience. This role offers the opportunity to make a difference to local families, and learn about supporting families with SEND and the varied issues involved.
- Help with mail-outs, folding and stapling literature, stuffing envelopes, labelling envelopes, franking post etc. All intended to raise awareness of the Compass service and to increase registrations
- Distribute prizes to families participating in some of our promotional prize draws
- Maintain accurate records for Compass Card Partners
- Making contact with some families, for example to remind them to return their registration forms to us or to ask about their experiences of using the Compass Card
- Occasional help with data entry onto the Charity Log database, e.g. updating Compass Card Partner details and contacting relevant people to check information
- Other tasks as identified from time to time.
Key skills and knowledge needed to be a Compass volunteer
- Have a good understanding of the importance of confidentiality and of data protection.
- Be skilled at listening and communicating with a wide range of people and feel comfortable on the phone as well as face-to-face. Have a non-judgemental attitude.
- Have strengths in reading, understanding information and writing clearly.
- Experience of using MS Excel and Word, office equipment such as printers and photocopiers and office systems is desirable
- Be able to make a regular (ideally weekly) time commitment at the Amaze office in Brighton.
We are ideally looking for someone who can volunteer a few hours during office hours every week or fortnight, but can be flexible to individual needs and circumstances. To find out more about the role see the role description below, or please contact Ann Blackburn for an informal discussion on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01273 234020. To express an interest please complete a volunteer application form: